I write this during the day before tonight's possibly tumultuous Fleet Meeting. I am curious as to how this event will turn out for me. It could be a semi-orderly discussion of outstanding issues about rules and SI's about which I have specific opinions. Unlike the character of disgraced academic David Lurie (above) I care what happens and how it happens. But, whatever is decided, I will be content that I have expressed my point of view. If they do not accept my solutions tonight, they will come around to them within 45 or 90 days. Then they will give all of the credit to someone else, of course. All of which is okay.
But another outcome is worrisome. Two or more sailors, not of our fleet, may intrude into our meeting to grind their own axes. Let's call them Pete and Esther. Both of them are good enough sailors to be considered hired guns: invited on different boats whose owners feel in particular need of grabbing our fleet's low-hanging fruit de jour (trophies). That our current SI's and rules permit these wildcat trophy-hunting safaris is the fleet's task tonight: how to close the loop holes and level the playing field. Not my problem.
What will be my problem is if Esther demands some kind of apology for some alleged post-race some griping or grousing on the part of others in the past ten days. If she utters the word "apology", I will have a problem. I will have a problem because I feel she is the last person in the world who should be asking for anyone's apology, and perhaps the first to offer one. Her behavior on the water is most egregious in its bullying and insulting manner.
As long as she doesn't bring up apology, I am willing not to make her on-the-water behavior a problem tonight, even though I think her attendance to be neither necessary or desirable for our deliberations. She may be a stakeholder in the Fleet's deliberations, but she does not own a boat. If she insists on this or that, her presence can get me to the tipping point, and I will have to man-up and call her out.
I told someone that if I am wearing her cocktail at any point in the evening, the meeting will have to be judged a complete success no matter what is decided. Maybe, I should try to sit close to Esther in order to facilitate that outcome?
But I hope it doesn't come to that. The above concerns aside, Esther has many redeeming qualities. Despite her negatives, I like and admire her positives. She has given the club much in terms of organization and leadership. She has a lot of influence. And, she is a very good sailor. We both have edgy temperaments. But by this measure, I am clearly not in her league as far as snark is concerned: she is the queen of mudslinging, and you can't wrestle with a pig and not get slimed. In the past, whenever Esther has slimed someone, they have stayed slimed for some time.
So, I sincerely hope she does not throw down the glove. Because, if she does, someone has to pick it up.
~~~~~~~~~~
It turns out that Esther arrived in time but first went to the bar for a couple of shots, came into the minutes after the first 20 minutes, and sneered throughout, but generally behaved decently.
It's probably over now, however. Too bad. I had a devestating one-liner I could have used.
I am so over these issues. In the furyof emails which followed. BT was slightly zinged by TW, and instead of taking it as a joke,took major league offense and insulted TW deeply, refused her sincere apology, and sicked JW on to her. That was the lowest cut of all. What a betrayal of everything he has stood for as long as I have known him. I guess he couldn't bear to have his family feud with a woman: had to sick the bitch-witch into the fight to cuss out TW. Well, I am done with him. No one needs friends like that. As Stephan observed last night, JW & BT have been living in my head without paying rent. So, I am opting out of Fleet organization discussion. No longer interests me. However they try to cobble something together is of no concern of mine. All of this handicapped racing is over-ripe low-hanging fruit. I realize that now, after I have reacquainted myself with the sweet elixir of level-racing.
ReplyDelete