Dag Hammarskjöld

Dag Hammarskjöld, Markings
In the point of rest at the center or our being. we encounter a world where all things are at rest in the same way, Then a tree becomes a mystery, a cloud a revelation, each man a cosmos of whose riches we can only catch glimpses. The life of simplicity is simple, but it opens to us a book in which we never get beyond the first syllable.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Retirement Blues

I'm retired now, and I'm liking it less and less with every passing day. The bloom is off the rose, as it were.

When I volunteered to retire I was not really working hard, more like hardly working. I thought it wouldn't be much of a change to shed some skin. But making even a small contribution (difference) each day, had been a bigger thing for me than I imagined. If some one is paying you something, it must be worth something. Right?

Originally, I said I wanted to spend more time with my family. But I now realize I need a larger mission than that.

I am not into re-inventing myself. Nothing that dramatic. But I am evolving: I'm reading more books. That's not me. I'm studying up on how to play dominoes. That's really not the old me!

What's next? Looking into volunteering?

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry I'm laughing so hard. It was the way you said volunteering ... I have recently used that word myself ... I don't know if I'm lacking the altruism gene or what ... it's not that I don't like people, it's just that I don't like "people." I'm secretly hoping you don't succumb 'cause then I'll have to feel really guilty.

    ReplyDelete